Sunday, June 22, 2014

Insanely Great!

This past week our industry got news that I would say is “insanely great.”  That term usually associated with the greatness of Steve Jobs and his Apple products, can now apply to our world here after Nicole Harris was named as the new President and CEO of the National Glass Association.  This news should give everyone who cares about the current and future of our industry an extra pep in their step because there’s simply no one more qualified or ready to take the NGA and our world here to new levels.  I have known Nicole for many years, and hold her in the highest regards.  She is an absolute class act.  I will never forget years and years ago my brother and I had dinner with Nicole and we were talking advertising ideas.  Despite the fact we weren’t placing ads with her magazine at the time, she was still there brainstorming with us and actually helped us develop an amazingly memorable campaign.  She surely did not have to, but did what was right.  And I know going forward she will do what’s right for this industry.  This is tremendous news folks, plain and simple.  As for Phil James, in a future blog, I will have some comments on him and his legacy. His place in industry history is surely one to greatly respect.

Elsewhere…

--  This week is AIA in Chicago… maybe I can get a picture or video of someone from our industry pleading for love from an architect.  Seriously though very interested to see how the show goes and the vibe.  Will report on all of this on my next blog which won’t run until after the July 4th holiday.

--  World Cup of Glass… week 2… and I was alerted to a huge snub… France is not in my tournament.  So while that country does boast a major player in the glass world, for this exercise, they’ll have to wait until I do the next edition of the World Cup of Glass.  Also the feedback I got regarding this was some of the best I have ever had.  Thank you…  Ok our next round is China, Italy, South Korea, and Mexico. This result of this one was a shocker to me.. I fully expected China to prevail but alas they fell to the Italians in the end.  Italy won the quality segment, finished 2nd in products and 2nd in industry support to take the day.  While China does have products, their quality continues to be hampered by some bad actors and innovation (at least originating) is not a strong suit in my opinion.  South Korea hung in there most being the home of some major interior switchable glass players and Mexico has great supporters of this industry and quality on par with the best.  The final breakdown though was:

Italy 13
China 11
Korea 9
Mexico 7

So Italy joins Germany in the finals… next blog we’ll have the match up of the US, Russia, Spain, and Japan.

--  Good news also this week on Thom Zaremba being appointed to the Canadian General Standards Board’s Glass Committee to help update the architectural glass standards there.  Thom joins a strong group that will make sure that the right glazing products are used in the right applications.  No question adding someone of his experience and pedigree will be great for the effort!

--  I just heard about the retirement of one of our industries most enjoyable people.  Jim Stewart of Tremco hung em up recently.  Jim is a great man and I will miss seeing him at industry events because he was always the one guy I could count on to greet me with a smile and hearty handshake.  Enjoy the next phase of your life my friend!

--  Watched the movie “Non Stop” on a flight this week and all I can say is…wow. Solid plot and creative writing.  Good action movie… Liam Neeson playing that hero role works.

--  Just in time for the summer travel season, gas is rising but so are airline prices.  May had the largest one-month increase in 15 years!  I noticed it as some routes I normally take I could not find a reasonable flight price at all.  Very depressing to say the least.    And this trend looks to continue, the airlines expect flights to still be full, so I don’t see pricing going down or even staying flat for the time being.

--  As mentioned above- no blog from me again until after the 4th of July holiday.  Hope everyone has a great and safe Independence Day!

LINKS of the WEEK

--  Cool long form piece on benefits still being paid from the Civil War!

--  Amazing story of pilot who has to skydive when his plane is damaged… by a skydiver!

--  Waffle House’s are getting scary… yet another shooting.  Man I like their food though.

VIDEO of the WEEK

As a former TV guy and current video editor, this piece blew me away for the pure complexity of it.  To make this many cuts to make it end up as a song is so difficult- what an amazing piece of work…


No comments: