Saturday, March 14, 2015

Back Into The Swing of Things

After spending several days out of the office, I’m scrambling to keep up, so for this week’s blog, no lead story, but just a bunch of quick hits…

--  The positive trends economically in our industry are still popping along but then again so is the continued tightening of supply and lack of consistent transportation.  Last week I spoke to several industry insiders who told me they are rolling with things the best they can, but its getting tougher every day.  The key?  Planning and communication.  The more you do of both, the better off you will be.

Only in Vegas!


--  You never know what and whom you will see in Las Vegas.  And while I have been there at least 40 times (in my best estimation) I have never run into anyone as epic as Steve Cohen of PPG did last week.  So picture on the right is a glass guy and the “baddest man on the planet,” former heavyweight champion of the world Mike Tyson.  Nice!  I wonder if Iron Mike will now be calling on architects with Steve… could make a convincing case to get products in the spec!  Plus props to Steve for  taking a selfie with him.  Crazy.  Way to go my friend.




--  The most prestigious award program in the industry is back with its 2015 edition.  Nominations are being accepted now for the products and projects portion of the annual Glass Magazine Awards.  For more info including the specific categories please click HERE!

--  Caught a very interesting documentary this past week- Pink Ribbons Inc.  The focus of the movie was about the massive “pinkwashing” surrounding fundraising for breast cancer awareness and more importantly the lack of progress in identifying what causes breast cancer and finding better treatments/cure.  Really intriguing to watch as I have never been a fan of certain organizations jumping on board to help their own image (the NFL every October is one big one) and frustrating to see billions of dollars raised yet no major advancements in place.  Worth the watch if you are interested.

--  Now that BEC is in the books, next up is a couple of excellent regional shows including the always-popular Mid-Atlantic Glass Expo April 29th and then AIA which hits mid May in Atlanta. Before you know it, GlassBuild America will be here and from all indications this year’s event will be very strong.  I’m excited to see how things progress there.

--  Last this week…. two questions I am curious to get your opinions on… one pop culture/social and one industry…

1          1.  Do you think the Apple Watch will make it?  I am torn.  I love Apple products but have not worn or needed a watch in years.  I can’t see the need when my iPhone does everything.  But I’m also old and staid.  Curious for other insights.

2          2.  At BEC, guest speaker James O’Callaghan made mention of the use of ultra thin glass.  There are a few manufacturers who make it (AGC had their Dragontrail on display at GlassBuild last year) but finding that home for usage is still a question.  So do you think that this product will find its way into prominent places in the exterior glass world?

As always feel free to e-mail me, as I don’t monitor the comment section very closely.

LINKS of the WEEK

--  The bizarre and frightening side to our online world.  Stolen identity.

--  Not sure how they pulled it off.. but woman hires an impersonator to go to a friends birthday party.

--  For the life of me I don’t get why people forget to lock their doors… after all a crook or a cow could come in.  Cow???

VIDEO of the WEEK

Really wild one here… family on safari in Africa- close up to some Lions… and one Lions shows a unique skill!


No comments: